Monday, August 11, 2008

Cheryl...

I was only going to say a few words, but it's turned out to be much more, so I will just make a post out of this.

You'll have to pardon me, I'm having a little difficulty with this. Although I was never given a reason, I am not allowed on your blog, but you come to mine and make comments. I wasn't going to respond at first, but since there's no other way of corresponding with you, I have only two choices. Ignore your comment, or reply. I will give you the courtesy of a reply.

Although 'we' are usually our worst enemy, and 'we' are the ones who beat our self up over things, I don't know where you're getting that I'm being hard on myself from this particular post.

I spoke in my post about disappointments, failures, obstacles. Something we all encounter, and something most of us like to share. I don't post things like this seeking pity. I do not think I am anybody special. I know there are many many people in this world who are worse off than I am.

However, it's just human nature that when things are happening to 'us', we tend to temporarily forget anything that is going on with others in order to deal with our own problems, and I share these problems in hopes of encouragement, or to perhaps let someone else know that they aren't alone, that it happens to each and every one of us.

I am the first to admit that I have questioned God as to why so many obstacles? Why must things be so hard for me? The little bit I mentioned in my post was only a drop in the bucket.

I am more than willing to give myself a break. I could use one in the worst way. But God has other plans for me obviously. And the only way I get through this is by reminding myself that my burdens are ordained, and that God is building my character, and I must have faith and believe.

I have had plenty of pity parties for myself. So I don't need that from others. I just recently finished 29 radiation treatments for breast cancer. And believe me, this being my 2nd time around with it, I certainly wanted to give up. But with encouragement from a few very special people, I kept on trudging until I finished. I left here every weekday morning at 4:30 to drive 145 mile round trip in order to receive treatment. I began June 10th and finished July 18th. I pulled over many times on the way home and give way to tears. I was fried, I was exhausted, and there were days I wish I hadn't woke up.

I would remind myself of a quote by Helen Keller. "Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything wise in this world."

It didn't always work that way, but I would tell myself "rise and shine" Karen, don't "rise and whine".

The last time I went through this, I took 37 radiation treatments. I was married, and my husband who worked 3rd shift at GM, come home from work each morning and drove me to every single one of my treatments, I had a shoulder. This time, I faced it alone, and it was much more difficult.

So no, I don't think I am being hard on myself, someone 'else' is being hard on me. I've actually been on my knees begging the Lord for guidance to get me through, and show me the way.

9 comments:

Kristy said...

Wow I can't imagine. I don't know how you got through that on your own. No one should have to! Truly amazing, really!

chros said...

We are doing a inductive bible study of Romans on our lunch break at work, and todays verses fit rather well with what you have said Karen. I urge you to read Romans 5:1-11. It deals with trials, justification and reconciliation. I'm sure you have read it before but it is a good message to meditate on to draw closer to God in those "downer" times. I pray that God delivers you from your suffering and sickness for His glory and good purpose. I wish you were close for my wife or I would gladly drive you to your treatments. My grandma whom I miss dearly was taken by breast cancer two years ago july, she had my grandpa and family to drive her and be that shoulder. I pray that God brings that into your life. May peace, grace, and goodwill bless everyday day of your life Karen.
C.

Karen said...

No, I'm ashamed to say I don't believe I've ever read that before Chros. (I can now say I have), and it fits in exactly with what I have posted. You my friend, are right on top of things. Your knowledge simply amazes me. It 'is' a good message to draw upon, and unknowingly, I have.

Aww, what a nice thing to say about driving me to treatments. Thank you for the wonderful thought, it brought tears to my eyes. But then many of your posts have. Partly because they are so true and touching, and partly because of a guilty conscience.

I'm so very sorry about your grandmother Chros. I know how it feels to lose loved ones, and endure the void it leaves within us.

In re my cancer. I finished treatments July 18th. I had an MRI and an Ultra-Sound, and the doctor said he sees nothing except the scar from the incision where he performed the biopsy. Only time will tell now. You're not considered cancer free for 11 years. But for the time being, my prayers have been answered.

Thank you for your wonderful comment Chros. God Bless you and your lovely family.

Cher said...

I'd love to add you to my blog. All I need is your e-mail address. I asked you for it once, and didn't get a response, so I thought it was you that didn't want access.
I'm sorry if my sympathy was taken for pity. It was not intented to be so. I was trying to be supportive.
I don't know what else to say.
You sound like a very strong woman and I admire that.
I feel really bad about this.
Most sincerely...

Karen said...

Cheryl, I responded to your comment in one of my blogs when you asked about adding me to 'your' blog, and I left my email for you.

And since you and Michael speak through email, he offered to send my email to you well over a month ago. It was after he returned home from his bike trip, and since I had no way of reaching you, he offered to send it. I can't believe he would tell me that and not follow through.

So, one can only assume you didn't wish to add me. And I don't have a problem with that, it was your choice.

Cher said...

You clearly have your mind made up, Karen.
So, you win.
**sigh**

Karen said...

Cheryl, I gave you my email, and I trust that Michael gave you my email. And I still wasn't allowed on your blog. So it was you who made up their mind, not me. You have always been allowed to come to mine. Until now, and I'm asking you nicely to stay away. I will not play this petty game any longer.

Thank you...

Cher said...

You are clearly angry and bitter. I DO feel sorry for you, Karen.

Cher said...

And this IS the last visit I will make to your blog, so I won't see your response.
You are angry with the wrong person, though, Karen.
Goodbye.