Thursday, August 14, 2008

Work...yay!!!

A bit of good news.

Although jobs are scarce all over, it's even worse in small towns. I'm 56 years old, and nobody wants to hire someone my age, they want the young kids. You walk into a place of business around here, and it's either youngsters or elderly people working. I'm talking mid to late 70s. They are on retirement and working for extra money, so they latch onto the jobs and don't let go.

I have a cousin who works in housekeeping at a Super 8 Motel. One of the young desk clerks clocked out and quit. So Lindy (my cousin) told Sherry (General Manager) about me. Sherry called and asked me to come over and make application. I did so, and Sherry talked with me in between taking care of guests, it was on a Saturday and was very busy.

Well, a few days later, Sherry called me and told me I had the job if I wanted it. I began orientation this past Tuesday, 12th. It's nothing special. Desk Clerk/Night Auditor. Not a high paying position, and only part-time, but it's a start.

Sherry is aware of my recent treatments for cancer, and that it caused fatigue (which goes away after awhile). She was kind enough to say that this job shouldn't be too hard on me while I'm getting better.

So, I am being introduced to their particular software program, and am learning about the motel business.

It's proving to be very interesting......ha ha. Sherry has told me some doozie tales about guests.

The room rates went up yesterday. First time in 10 years. The computer had a glitch, and charged everyone 3 cents too much. So Buddy and I had to walk up and down the halls with cell phones, dial the guests room number, and tell them we were at their door with a 3 cent overpayment. Guests pay in advance, and don't always come back to the desk at check-out, so we had to do it this way according to the manager......... ha ha

It was so hilarious. Buddy and I were rolling over in laughter, and the guests joined right in. The guests made cute/funny comments and took it with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I am back at work, and it feels wonderful. (Even though I have to dress like a penquin). ~snicker~

8 comments:

chros said...

A job is a job! Congradulations! Work can do so much good for people and I hope and pray it does for you. I bet you will end up with some wild and crazy stories about guests. I look like a coal miner when I get home some days so a penquin can't be all that bad haha. Glad things are looking up and up for you. With prayers and love always.
C.

Karen said...

Thank you Chros. I was going mad being at home so much. Feels great to be out amongst people again. I'm so tickled about it.

Yes, will have many stories.

A guy come in yesterday to check into his room. Nicely pressed khaki slacks, nicely pressed white shirt, with the shirttail out, and the bottom couple of buttons were undone. He was hanging on to his bag with his shirttail. He set the bag down, and grabbed his shirttail again to open the front door. Then reached down and picked up his bag again with his shirttail. (We have two sets of doors, so he did this twice), and he used his shirttail to pick up the pen to sign in, etc.

Later he come back down to the lobby, and he used his shirttail to pick up the coffee pot, etc. etc. I've seen people use a napkin or paper towel to pick something up, or open a door from time to time throughout the years, but that was the first time I've seen anyone go the extreme this guy did to 'not' touch anything with his bare hands.

He was obviously some bigwig who was in town for a meeting at the Correctional Facility. They sent someone to pick him up, and he left the motel the same way he come in, (different shirt) shirttail out, using it to open the door, and car door. So he went to his meeting like that.

The staff got tickled watching him. He can't hide what he does, it's so obvious. But it's really not funny. How miserable he must be, to have such fear of germs!

Okay, surely you don't 'work' in a coal mine. ha ha. What type work do you do?

chros said...

I am a welder. I weld in the heavy welding department at rayco. We build big forestry mowers and huge hydrastumpers which mow forests rather than lawns. We also make logsplitters, brush chippers and stump grinders though those are made in other departments. I really like what I do but it can be dirty depending on the quality and condition of the steel. I actually had to recertify for welding this week because of a structural part we build that has to be "just so" and if the part ever failed it will save the company from lawsuits.
With love and prayers always.
C.

Karen said...

Oh goodness. Yes, one of my ex husband's best buddies was a welder at General Motors, and you can go home looking like a coal miner alright. And with burns, and he was always getting stuff in his eyes somehow. Takes a lot of talent to be a good welder, I commend you. Love and prayers to you and your family. :o)

Karen said...

Oh goodness. Yes, one of my ex husband's best buddies was a welder at General Motors, and you can go home looking like a coal miner alright. And with burns, and he was always getting stuff in his eyes somehow. Takes a lot of talent to be a good welder, I commend you. Love and prayers to you and your family. :o)

Karen said...

oops, I clicked twice. ha ha

Kristy said...

Congrats on the new job! This may be just what you needed to lift your spirits!

Karen said...

Thank you K...